1. Pressure cook, peel and smash the potatoes. For better taste, arrange for several nubile young women to smash them with their dainty feet.
2. Heat oil in a kadai.
3. Finely chop green chillies and ginger and keep aside.
4. In hot oil, add mustard seeds, udad dal, curry leaves, chopped green chillies, ginger.
5. Once udad dal turns golden, add smashed potatoes, salt and saute well.
6. Add lemon juice and freshly grated coconut as a garnish, if you like.
Recipe Source: Ramalakshmi is a 79 year old homemaker who has lived in Bombay for most of her life and believes in reading the two full newspapers, including all the gossip in Bombay Times and Mumbai Mirror.